Market trends are really not in favor of Telecom Service /providers with increasing use of OTT application like watsapp , Facebook messenger , Google hangouts , skype , viber , etc .
Four Depleting waves of revenue – Operator’s dilemma
- Messaging – OTT messaging cost operators $13.9 billion, or 9% of message revenue in 2013
- Voice – Voice services under threat from VOIP services like Skype, Viber
- OTT apps – Voice & Message apps have been the operator’s biggest headache. Its time Operator should launch its own OTT Services
- Data Traffic – The utilization is yet to reach its peak. Will face challenges from WiFi access
- Critical Pain areas – Erosion of Operator’s revenue from voice and (especially) messaging
At this stage it is crucial for a telecom Service provider / Operator to enter the Apps market and bring forth a Messenger which is more powerful , interactive and awesome than a OTT application. Fortunately the Operator can always couple this application with his background telecom infrastructure to provide the edge in performance and functionalists .
Let us analyse the current roadblocks for the Telecom Operator through the following figure
Next we find the way of solving the problems and integrating them together to form a Solution that is described in the figure below :
This writeup outlines the process of creating a OTT application for a Telecom Service Provider .
Components for the application include cloud Address Book , Video Chatting , Location share , Contact synchronization ,REST based thin client , OS and device agnostic etc shown in the figure below
The Application is designed to close knit with Operator’s own infrastructure hence the crucial entities like Network Address Book , Location Service are synced and fetched from Backend Network .
High level design of the OTT application is provided below :
Smart Address Book
- Automatic: Get contacts from Gmail, Facebook
- Fast search by first, last name, frequently
- dialed number
- Roadmap: View calendar events
- Personal: Get image from Gmail and display in contacts list
- Share own location during chatting
- Get map for calculating the distance between two chat users
- Roadmap : Trigger device (say Switch on/off AC before reaching home) from a threshold distance away from home location
- Ad-hoc Chat
- Session Based Chat
- Voice Input for texting
- Presence information of contacts
- RoadMap: Legacy message integration
- Voice call to mobile
- Voice call to PSTN
- Video call to other @imAll user
- Share images during voice call to other
- Compatible with IOS, windows
- Can run as native app on ipad
- Can run as browser client on windows
- RoadMap: native app for android, windows phone,blackberry10
- To upgrade the application and provide enganced and enrich service support the I propose the following roadmap.
- From plain vanilla voice and video calling ( supported by every other OTT application ) our application should progress towards legacy telecom support whihc included PSTN , GSM , ISDN etc . This requires backbone of telecom network and a good setup for media codec conversion to suit various legacy media codecs .
- To keep the interest of customers it is essential that the application be supported on other popular OTT services like skype , Gtalk . for exmaple a caller should be able to make call from Skype / Gtalk to our application .
- Multilingual capabilities, support for larger protocol spectrum will just act like icing on the cake .
- How does it benefit the Operator??
- Saves on development cost and time
- Device Agnostic OTT Applications
- Simplified Service deployment
- Saves licensing cost per client
- Reuses existing Messaging and Address Book service logic.
- Open New Revenue Streams for operator
- No separate SIP stack required for the client
- Faster Time to Market